It’s the ultimate FARM GATE and it’s happening on Saturday July 1:
Eat Local Month’s Winter Harvest Festival
Imagine a glorious winter Farmer’s Market combined with the ultimate Farm Gate experience. Got it? Now – mark your diary for Saturday 1 July, because that’s when this combination will happen! And then, add music and a world famous Tractor Pulling Competition!
It is the Scenic Rim celebrated in one glorious, flavour-filled day, and everyone is invited! Winter Harvest Festival is the signature event of Eat Local Month, where Scenic Rim Food Ambassador chefs join growers, producers and flavour-makers in celebrating where food comes from. There’s demonstrations, produce stalls to wander, tasting stations to graze and the World Famous Tractor Pull (will the butchers take the title again in 2023?).
New this year is the Meet the Producer Stage presented by Moffatt Fresh Produce, with a focus on the growers and producers of the region sharing their stories, from carrot farmers to cheese makers, mushroom producers to dairy farmers and more, while The Cook & The Chef Stage presented by Kalfresh Vegetables will see chefs Javier Codina, Simon Furley, Josh Lopez and Kate Raymont shares their secrets!
For lovers of a tipple, a visit to the Winter Harvest Festival means coming face to face with the world’s best Brandy! Judged just last month at the London Spirits Competition, the winner was Tamborine Mountain Distillery’s Apricot Brandy, beating more than 4000 submissions from over 80 countries. So there’s that!
It also means tasting the Scenic Rim Brewery’s newest addition – the Ripa Rita, a beer starring local beetroot from Valley Pride Produce and Rosellas from Vanbery Jam Co. While there, taste the Beauy & Blue, a spiced pumpkin ale made from famous Beaudesert Blue pumpkins (ah, the penny drops). Cheese lovers should head to the Summer Land Camels stall for their Camel Milk Marinated Persian Feta which won Gold at the 2023 Sydney Royal Cheese & Dairy Show.
Yes, there will be Carrot Ice-cream! This delicious creation of Moffatt Fresh Produce will be available at their stall. Quick fact: the Scenic Rim produces 600 million carrots a year and is the carrot capital of the country!
And there’s so much for the kids to do that they’ll be asleep before you get home.
PLUS: The WORLD-FAMOUS Tractor Pulling Competition is a show-stopping moment. The competition pits teams against a 12-tonne tractor – who will clock the fastest time and be crowned 2023 champion? The local team of butchers headed by The Butcher Co’s Kane Lutter currently holds the title and have since 2016 (!). Will they once again triumph over the Kalfresh carrot farmers or will the veggie growers rise up. Or will a new untried team cause a major upset? This event is 1000% pure entertainment… and any team can enter!
- 11am – Junior Tractor Pull
- 30pm – Senior Tractor Pull
Bring an empty esky (or three!), pack the kids (it’s a fantastic family event), gather the crew, and prepare for the ultimate farm gate, and an absolute overload of country hospitality!
WINTER HARVEST FESTIVAL: Saturday 1 July, 10am to 4pm
COST: $15 adults, children under 12 free
WHERE: Aratula Sports Complex, Carter Road, Aratula
BOOK TICKETS HERE: eatlocalmonth.com.au
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW…
The Cook & The Chef presented by Kalfresh Vegetables (stage inside Aratula Sports Hall)
The Cook & MC: Caz Osborne with Scenic Rim Food Ambassadors:
- 11am – Chef Javier Codina shares his family traditions and secrets to creating a delicious Spanish paella
- 12pm – Chef Josh Lopez will create carrotacular dishes with the humble carrot
- 1pm – Chef Simon Furley talks cooking over coals to create a delicious winter salad
- 2pm – Chef Kate Raymont and Gen Windley will talk about preserving and pickling – what to do with an abundance of in-season produce
NEW IN 2023 – Meet the Producer presented by Moffatt Fresh Produce (stage in marquee)
- 10:30am – Scenic Rim Mushrooms: Discover the magic of mushrooms and their healing properties
- 11:00am – Moffatt Fresh Produce: 99 years of farming in the Scenic Rim!
- 11:30am – Towri Sheep Cheeses: The power of collaboration
- 12noon – Elderflower Farm: Growing edible flowers at home
- 12:30pm – Tommerup’s Dairy Farm: Butter making demonstration
- 1:00pm – Vanbery Jam Co: What to do with Rosellas and how to grow them at home
NEW IN 2023 – Winter Harvest Festival Workshops – suitable for the whole family
$10 workshop fee applies – book on-line
- 10:30am – Workshop with Rachel from Elderflower Farm: Learn about growing and pressing edible flowers at home and decorate Scenic Rim cookies with edible pressed flowers.
- 11:30am – Workshop with Rachel from Jasmine Urban Farm: Learn about the importance of creating a habitat for bugs and create a seed bomb for home using a beneficial bug mix of seeds.
- 12:30pm – Workshop with Mat from Scenic Rim Mushrooms: Learn how to grow mushrooms at home using a Scenic Rim Mushrooms grow kit.
- 1:30pm – Workshop with Rachel from Jasmine Urban Farm and Amber from Eden Seeds: Planting seeds for the future – Learn how to plant seeds and seedlings to grow at home.
FOR THE KIDS
- Urban Utilities ‘Top Drop’ mini golf activity
- Sparky Do Dah – activities and games for kids
- Kalfresh Tractor tables
- Giant slide and Jumping Castle
- Giant Games – Chess, Jenga, Connect Four, Noughts & Crosses, Checkers, Cornhole, and Snakes & Ladders.
TIPPLES & SIPS BAR
11am / 12:30pm / 2pm – Performances by Ross Weber
MAIN SEATING AREA
10:15am / 11:45am / 1:15pm – Performances by Nicky Convine
BREAD & CHEESE, MILK & HONEY, FRESH PRODUCE, LOCALLY PRODUCED:
- Areleah Chocolates – Rocky Road, fudge, peanut brittle, coconut ice, rainbow jellies, freckles and more
- Arthur Clives Bakery Café – house-made breads, sandwiches, pies, sausage rolls, cakes and pastries
- Bee All Natural – raw honey, creamed honey, infused creamed honey, honey based bath, body and beauty products
- Canungra Creek Finger limes – Fresh finger limes, marmalades and preserves made with finger limes, skin Products made from finger limes
- Chef Dylan’s Gourmet Food Co. – seasonings and small batches sauces created on Mount Tamborine using fresh local ingredients sourced direct wherever possible
- Christmas Creek Produce – Dried fruits and salts
- Chokola’j – small batch chocolate and confectionery using locally sourced produce – roasted macadamia and lemon myrtle chocolate bars, Dried Olive chocolate bars, honeycomb, macadamia brittle
- Greenlee Farm – Dry roasted & salted macadamias, macadamia brittle, Nut-In-Shell, TJ’s Nutcrackers
- Hampson Honey – Locally produced raw honey and honeycomb products
- Heritage Poultry – if you want to take home a laying hen or a day old chick, this is the place! Yep, they have all you need as well to create your own chicken coop.
- Kalfresh Vegetables – local produce galore – and CARROTS!
- Kent’s Produce – coffee, bacon and egg burgers, hamburgers, toasted sandwiches and fresh produce
- Moffatt Fresh Produce – more local produce galore!!
- Moshki – crochet baskets, bags and more made from jute twine and more
- My Mountain Farm – luxurious goat milk soaps, products and balms, tumeric products and remedies, and freshly harvested garlic, ginger and tumeric
- Olive View Farm – EV Olive oil, table olives, dipping oil, relishes, jams, chutneys, magnesium products made with local edible flowers, organic kombucha, dukkah, lip balm, olive blossom honey, native bush food tea
- Rathlogan Olive Grove / The Shed Café – Olives, olive oil, vinegars and dukkah
- Scenic Rim Farm Box – Meet the fabulous Scenic Rim Farm Box team face to face and find out more about the Scenic Rim home delivery food service. Fresh produce from Kalfresh will be available for purchase.
- Scenic Rim Mushrooms – grow kits, fresh harvested mushrooms, mushroom salts and Lions Mane extracts
- Summer Land Camels – Gelato, cheese and charcuterie packs and skincare products
- The Pickling Project – Pickles, relishes and ferments
- Tommerup’s Dairy Farm – dairy products straight from the farm
- Towri Sheep Cheeses – their award-winning Eweghurt and Fetta
- Tracey’s Tucker Bag – artisan meal bag made with a selection of spices, beans, rice and lentils in a coloured sands style. Great for the slow cooker, camp oven and stove top.
- Truffle Discovery Centre – Truffle infused condiments – oils, balsamics, aioli, mustard, butter, cheese, sauces, salt, seasonings, hot sauce. Non truffle gourmet condiments – jams, chutneys and sauces.
- Ungermann Brothers Gourmet Ice Cream – handmade and created from natural fruits and flavours
- Valley Pride Produce – fresh farm vegetables, jams, chutneys, infused beets, banana breads, honey, lamb and goat meats, Hummus, pesto, all locally produced
- Vanbery Jam Co – Rosella products including jam, paste, syrup, coulis & flowers, orange marmalade and lemon curd
- Wilde Foods – Pickled Warrgal Greens, Pickled Warrigal Greens & Macadamia Nut Pesto, Davidson’s Plum Spicy Sauce, Wilde Dukkah, Pepperberry & Wattleseed Rub and native food tastings
READY TO EAT
- Dosa Delish – Crispy savoury Indian pancakes with spicy potato masala, zingy samba sauce and coconut chutney. Gluten free, vegan friendly and flavourfully fermented.
- Fire N Dough Wood Fired Pizza – Wood fired pizza (using local ingredient toppings)
- Lopez at Home – Scenic Rim beef cheek tacos and charred carrot tacos prepared by Scenic Rim Food Ambassador Josh Lopez
- Moda Tapas Brasa Bar – delicious Spanish paella prepared by Scenic Rim Ambassador chef Javier Codina
- Pots of Produce – Vegan, vegetarian and gluten free food using locally grown produce, along with fresh juices, lemonade and chai tea
- The Butcher Co. – Sausages on a stick, rib fillet sliders, small goods – kabana, salami and pepperoni
FOR SIPS AND TIPPLES:
- Barney Creek Vineyard Cottages – tasting varieties include Shiraz, Petit Verdot, Grenache and Mourvedre
- Cauldron Distillery – gin and hot toddy tastings
- O’Reilly’s Canungra Valley Vineyards – tastings, glass sales and bottle sales
- Scenic Rim Brewery and Café – craft beer and pretzels
- Summer Land Camels – vodka tastings and sales
- Tamborine Mountain Distillery – with their range of award winning liqueurs, gin, vodka and more, plus their just-awarded World’s Best Brandy!
- The Overflow Estate 1895 – tasting varieties include Vermentino, Fiano, Montepulciano, Tempranillo, Rose, Sparkling Rose, Sparkling White Wine and Sparkling Red Wine
- Witches Falls Winery – Witches Falls Wine and Eighth Day Cider
FLOWERS, HERBS AND PLANTS:
- Elderflower Farm – their famous fresh farm flowers, plus their wonderful products including flower sprinkles, Floripops, flower field honey and honeycomb, seed bombs, bath salts, flower seeds and edible flowers.
- Jasmine Urban Farm – seedlings, seed bombs and herbal teas
FOR THE COFFEE LOVERS:
- Cuppa-licious – coffee, tea, chai, hot chocolate, iced latte and milkshakes
- Ginger & Bean (vintage coffee caravan) – Botero Coffee, teas, juices and cakes
- Scenic Rim eXpresso – full coffee range made with For Real Milk and Dairy Farmers milk
- Plus, cold drinks available from the Aratula Community Sports Centre, coffee from Kent’s Produce and organic Kombucha from Olive View Farm
SCENIC RIM EAT LOCAL MONTH 2023
June 1 – July 2 www.eatlocalmonth.com.au
Tickets on sale NOW
The real stars of Eat Local Month are the award-winning producers, growers and flavour-makers, with the event providing the ultimate backstage pass to the farms, wineries, faces and food stories of the Scenic Rim, named by delicious Magazine as one of the top 5 places to visit in 2023.
Scenic Rim Eat Local Month is proudly presented by Scenic Rim Regional Council, with support from Major Partners Kalfresh Vegetables and Moffatt Fresh Produce, and Supporting Partners Urban Utilities, Community Bank Kalbar & District and Brisbane Economic Development Agency. The event is also supported by the Queensland Government through Tourism and Events Queensland and features on the It’s Live! in Queensland events calendar.
For more information, imagery and interviews please contact Kath Rose on 0416 291 493 or email email@example.com